Your team currently works as a research wing for a standard SOC (Security Operations Center). The SOC keeps analytics on the current trends within the network. Your team will be assigned a current issue that has been seen at the border of the network, trying to infiltrate the organizations network/systems. Upon being assigned your item, it will be your job to go out and search OSINT (Open Source Intelligence) for more information on the attack being observed. This could be a single port number, a series of attacks that has been identified, or an IP address to research and identify; your professor will assign this. Your deliverable will be a 5 page APA style research report with your findings. Discover current attacks being performed through this port, or current state of a known scanning suite. Find sources, if possible, source code of attacks that are known to exploit this weakness and break down the code. List known services on the affected ports that are associated and current attacks being performed on these services (list any CVE findings and briefly list and explain). Look at SNORT rules that watch for these attacks and list that SID.
Finally, to wrap-up your research, present the current risk level associated with this threat. Use the FAIR methodology to derive your threat assessment. The attached FAIR PDF will walk you through your analysis. To complete the FAIR document:
- Step 1: Asset at Risk will be the organization’s primary e-commerce web server.
- Step 2: You will provide this answer based on your research.
- Step 3: You will provide this answer based on your research; however, keep in mind how many times per day this is scanning the network, which will be given to your when you receive your topic.
- Step 4: You will provide this answer based on your research.
- Step 5: Assume the e-Commerce server is fully up-to-date and running the following base software: Red Hat Linux, Apache, MariaDB, Drupal, PHP and is hardened based on base NIST recommendations for operations.
- Step 6-7: Calculate
- Step 8: Assume Moderate
- Step 9: Assume Moderate
- Step 10: Calculate and create this chart in excel with the appropriate item highlighted. Include this chart in your paper and presentation.
Once you complete your paper, you will need to create a presentation / briefing for the class. The presentation will need to cover a 7 to 12 minute window of time. The number of slides do not matter; however, everyone in your group must present (talk). Make sure to include the chart from step 10 in your presentation, everything else is up to you on how you want to brief the class on your findings. Keep in mind that going under or over will cost your group points.
******Research Paper Format******
For this part of the group assignment, you will be writing a research paper in the following format using APA guidelines:
- State the research question you are trying to answer (You will pick 1 of the topics available as a group)
- State why the question is important
- State the issues involved
- State why we should be concerned with resolving whatever issues are involved
- State how answering the question will help us
- State the implications and consequences of dealing with or resolving the issues involved
REVIEW OF THE LITERATURE
Identify who has tried to answer the question before by doing the following:
- Summarize how each of the sources presents and deals with the subject
- Explain how each source presents and deals with its findings or results
- Explain the relevancy of each source to your research question
- State what you learned from each of your sources
- State in what way(s) each source contributes to answering your research question
State your answer to your research question
State how and elaborate on how, explain how, illustrate how each of the sources you previously reviewed help you answer your research question
State what questions about your topic you still have that your sources may not have answered
State the conclusions regarding your topic you have reached from having surveyed, interpreted, evaluated the literature
Indicate how each of the sources have contributed to your conclusions (and clearly, accurately, correctly document those sources within your text)
State the implications of your conclusions
State what might be the possible consequences of your conclusions
State the social significance these implications and consequences might have
On a separate page, include a section labeled References which provides the full publication information for all the sources you used in your paper
You should have a MINIMUM of three (3) sources for your paper
Not meeting this minimum requirement of three (3) sources will lead to a lower evaluation of your paper for each missing source
Use APA format for documenting your sources